According to research from Statista, digital advertising revenue will surpass $700 billion USD by 2025. One takeaway from these projected figures is that marketers need to stand out amongst a crowded landscape and take advantage of key trends and opportunities to engage audiences.
Audience engagement is a vital component of any successful marketing strategy. It encompasses all the efforts made to connect and interact with the target audience, ensuring that they are actively involved and invested in the content or advertising being offered.
In the digital age, audience engagement takes on even greater significance. With the influence of online audiences increasing, capturing their attention and engaging them is a top priority for marketers.
What is audience engagement?
So, what exactly is audience engagement? It can be defined as the extent to which individuals are involved, interested, and participating in a campaign. In other words, it is the measure of how connected and engaged the audience is with the content or advertisement presented.
In programmatic advertising, mapping audience engagement helps advertisers discover how users are moving across stages and steps in their consumer journey.
One of the reasons why audience engagement is crucial is the valuable insights it provides. By actively involving the audience, marketers gain a better understanding of their needs, preferences, and opinions. This enables them to tailor future events or marketing campaigns to effectively meet the audience’s expectations and deliver a personalized experience. This, in turn, leads to increased satisfaction, loyalty, and even advocacy.
Strategies to build and track audience engagement
Building and tracking audience engagement is essential for any marketer. It not only ensures that your efforts are effective but also provides valuable insights for future improvements. Here are some strategies to help you build and track audience engagement:
- Define your goals: Start by determining what you want to achieve with your audience engagement efforts. Is it to increase leads, generate social media buzz, or collect valuable feedback? Having clear goals will help you focus your efforts and measure success.
- Know your target audience: Understanding your audience’s needs, preferences, and interests is crucial for crafting engaging content. Conduct market research, analyze audience data, and create personas. This will help you tailor your messages and experiences to resonate with your target audience.
- Create relevant and valuable content: To capture and maintain audience attention, your content must be relevant and provide value. Whether it’s blog posts, social media updates, event sessions or downloadable collateral, ensure that your content addresses the needs and interests of your audience. Use storytelling, visual content, and interactive elements to make it more engaging.
- Encourage audience participation: Active participation is key to building engagement. Include opportunities for your audience to interact with the content, such as live polls, Q&A sessions, or discussion forums.
- Utilize engagement tools: Leverage technology and engagement tools to keep your audience involved. These tools not only facilitate interaction but also provide insights and metrics for tracking engagement levels and effectiveness. illumin’s audience engagement map allows you to see the performance of audiences, creatives, conditions, and transition of users at each step of a stage.
- Track and analyze engagement metrics: Use analytics tools to track engagement metrics, such as click-through rates, dwell time, social media mentions, or survey responses. Evaluate these metrics regularly to assess the effectiveness of your strategies and make data-driven improvements.
- Gather and act on feedback: Collecting feedback from your audience is essential to refine your engagement strategies. Conduct surveys, monitor social media conversations, and actively listen to your audience. Use the insights gained to improve future marketing campaigns.
Remember, engaging your audience is an ongoing process. Continuously evaluate, experiment, and adapt your strategies to meet evolving audience expectations and preferences. By building and tracking audience engagement, you can create meaningful connections, deliver value, and achieve your goals.
How to calculate engagement score
Engagement score is a valuable metric that measures the level of audience interaction and participation in a particular event or activity. It provides insight into how well your audience is engaging with your content and can help you evaluate the success of your strategies.
Calculating engagement scores involves considering various factors and metrics to determine the overall level of engagement.
Here are some steps to help you calculate your engagement score effectively:
1. Determine your engagement metrics
Start by identifying the key metrics that align with your goals and objectives. These metrics can include likes, comments, shares, clicks, views, time spent on a page, and any other relevant data points that indicate audience interaction and participation.
2. Assign weights to different metrics
Not all engagement metrics hold the same level of importance. Assign weights to each metric based on its significance in achieving your objectives.
For example, if your primary goal is to increase brand awareness, you may assign more weight to metrics like shares or comments, as they demonstrate audience engagement and potential reach.
3. Set benchmarks and goals
Establish benchmarks and goals for your engagement metrics to measure progress over time. This will help you track your performance and determine the effectiveness of your audience engagement strategies.
For example, if your current engagement score is 30%, you can set a goal to increase it to 40% within a specific timeframe.
4. Determine the overall engagement score
Combine the individual engagement scores across all metrics to calculate the overall engagement score. This score represents the collective level of audience engagement for a specific campaign.
5. Assess and analyze your engagement score
Analyze your engagement score to identify trends, patterns, and areas for improvement. Compare your score against previous benchmarks and goals to evaluate the effectiveness of your strategies. Use this analysis to refine and optimize your audience engagement efforts moving forward.
Calculating engagement scores provides you with valuable insights into the success of your audience engagement strategies. It helps you understand what resonates with your audience and allows you to make data-driven decisions to enhance future engagement.
By consistently measuring and analyzing engagement scores, you can better tailor your content and engagement strategies to effectively reach and connect with your target audience.
How illumin helps with audience engagement
illumin’s audience engagement map analyzes your entire marketing journey’s performance. You can see how your audience progresses through the journey alongside real-time data for specific metrics and goals. illumin makes it easy to view, manage, and collect in-depth information on ads at stage, path, creative, and audience levels. Marketers can see the number of impressions, clicks, and conversions at each stage.
illumin’s audience engagement map can solve the major problems in the ad industry such as-
* wasted ad spend
* disconnect in planning
* siloed ad strategy
* limited data into the consumer journey
* lack of understanding personas